Im having odd, random crashes on my new macbook pro. awesome...
Considering the small, text based size/structure of .ufr's..
I assume an auto backup file thats generated in text and updated overtime i make a change would be easy to implement.
if uf wants to crash, fine. simply access the backup text file with every state of the ufr's history.

An iterate save option with a keyboard shortcut would be the next best thing.

dreaming aloud..

Im having odd, random crashes on my new macbook pro. awesome... Considering the small, text based size/structure of .ufr's.. I assume an auto backup file thats generated in text and updated overtime i make a change would be easy to implement. if uf wants to crash, fine. simply access the backup text file with every state of the ufr's history. An iterate save option with a keyboard shortcut would be the next best thing. dreaming aloud..
edited Jan 5 '16 at 3:33 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing crashes! I'll get into them in more depth via email. I've considered an auto save function but I'd rather concentrate on fixing the crashes instead. smile You can of course just use Cmd+S to save as you go along.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing crashes! I'll get into them in more depth via email. I've considered an auto save function but I'd rather concentrate on fixing the crashes instead. :) You can of course just use Cmd+S to save as you go along.

Ultra Fractal author

You can never guarantee that there are no crashes at all. I know at least two ways to crash UF from inside, and one from outside. The last one is why I searched for this feature, because I have a long 10+ hour render (no export) running and it "crashed" because Linux' out-of-memory reaper decided that the process with the largest memory footprint should be lynched (even though it was another process growing in memory). The lynched process was Uf6.exe because the new perturbation algorithm is a memory hog, and I'm already at the maximum iterations that it allows me to go without giving me out-of-memory errors in the messages dialog.

You can never guarantee that there are no crashes at all. I know at least two ways to crash UF from inside, and one from outside. The last one is why I searched for this feature, because I have a long 10+ hour render (no export) running and it "crashed" because Linux' out-of-memory reaper decided that the process with the largest memory footprint should be lynched (even though it was another process growing in memory). The lynched process was Uf6.exe because the new perturbation algorithm is a memory hog, and I'm already at the maximum iterations that it allows me to go without giving me out-of-memory errors in the messages dialog.
edited Jul 5 at 5:18 pm

I have had numerous UF crashes for apparently no reason, but all have been when UF has been up continuously for a long time, with many changes to fractals, often (always?) with many uses of Ctrl-Z as I was re-writing formulas and making mistakes in their syntax.

I have had numerous UF crashes for apparently no reason, but all have been when UF has been up continuously for a long time, with many changes to fractals, often (always?) with many uses of Ctrl-Z as I was re-writing formulas and making mistakes in their syntax.

Same. I found that many windows and a lot of Ctrl+Z in quick succession, especially with fractals that are slow to calculate, can lead to crashes. Also repeatedly starting multiple calculations at the same time, like having one fractal window rendering and then starting the explorer or stuff like that. But it usually only happens when it has been running for a long time.

Same. I found that many windows and a lot of Ctrl+Z in quick succession, especially with fractals that are slow to calculate, can lead to crashes. Also repeatedly starting multiple calculations at the same time, like having one fractal window rendering and then starting the explorer or stuff like that. But it usually only happens when it has been running for a long time.

"... only happens when it has been running for a long time",

maybe memory fragmentation?

"... only happens when it has been running for a long time", maybe memory fragmentation?

The crash I get when I try to rename a parameter is always an access violation of a read of address 0x0000000000000010

The crash I get when I try to rename a parameter is always an access violation of a read of address 0x0000000000000010

If you have a reproducible way to crash UF, please let me know!

If you have a reproducible way to crash UF, please let me know!

Ultra Fractal author

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft