Ultra Fractal has one main application window that contains all open documents,
such as fractals, gradients, and formula files. Secondary windows, called tool
windows, edit the properties of fractals and provide access to other functionality.
The workspace contains the following elements:
- Document windows contain the documents that you work on, such as
fractals and gradients. In the screen shot above, the fractal window is an
example of a document window.
- The buttons on the toolbar provide access to frequently-used commands.
Usually, these commands can also be accessed through the pull-down menu
directly above the toolbar. The toolbar can be hidden and restored by clicking
Toolbar on the Options menu.
- The dock bar is a place to store tool windows, to keep them from
using too much screen space. Tool windows can be dragged into and out of the
dock bar at any time. Tool windows in the dock bar are called docked tool
windows. They can also be collapsed so you only see the title bar. To
hide and restore all tool windows and the dock bar, click Tool Windows on
the Options menu or press F12.
- Floating tool windows are tool windows that float freely over the
screen, instead of being in the dock bar. This is useful if you use a tool
window a lot, or to place some tool windows on a secondary monitor if you
have one. The Timeline tool window
works better when floating than when docked.
- The animation bar contains animation controls for the active fractal
window. See Animation bar. (Ultra
Fractal Extended Edition only)
- The status bar provides additional information about the active document
window, such as the elapsed calculation time for a fractal. To hide and restore
the status bar, click Status Bar on the Options menu.
- The window panel is an area in the status bar that lists all open
document windows, much like the Windows task bar. To bring a document window
to the foreground, click on its button in the window panel. To hide and restore
the window panel, click Window Panel on the Options menu.
Next: Working with tool windows