Ultra Fractal comes with a set of standard fractal
coloring algorithms and plug-ins. They are easy
to use and well documented. However, when you get more experienced, you will
want to work with more different formulas.
Most of the custom formulas and plug-ins written for Ultra Fractal are available through
a public formula database on the Internet (formulas.ultrafractal.com).
Here, you can download a complete set of formulas, browse the collection, and
add your own formulas.
You can download formulas and plug-ins from the database from within Ultra Fractal. This
will automatically download new and updated files and install them appropriately.
- To start updating your collection of public formulas, click Update Public
Formulas on the Options menu. You can select what to download: the weekly
or monthly update, or the full collection. Ultra Fractal will automatically
select the most appropriate option depending on how long ago you last updated
The downloaded files will be installed in the Public formulas folder.
- You are free to organize the public formulas in subfolders in the Public
formulas folder, for example to put files that you rarely use in a separate
folder. The files will still be updated correctly.
- The formula database also contains text files with documentation and parameter
files with examples. These are copied to the Public formulas folder as well.
- If you have a dial-up connection, make sure you are connected to the Internet
before updating your formulas. Otherwise, Ultra Fractal might not be able
to connect to the formula database.
- When opening a parameter set
that uses formulas that cannot be found, you can directly download the file
from the formula database.
How are the public formulas installed?
The formulas will be installed according to the following rules:
- If a formula file already exists in the Public formulas folder or in a subfolder,
it will be overwritten. If the existing file is newer than the downloaded
file, you will be prompted for confirmation.
- If a formula file does not exist yet, it will be created in the Public formulas
- If a formula file already exists outside the Public formulas folder, it
will not be updated or overwritten. These files are listed as skipped. If
you are a formula author, you can thus avoid overwriting your own files when
updating the formulas by placing them in the Formulas\My Formulas folder instead
of in Formulas\Public.
When all files are downloaded and installed, a short summary of the changes
is shown. Details can be found in the Update.log file created in the Public
default, the location of the Public formulas folder is Documents\Ultra Fractal 5\Formulas\Public. It is
always located under the main Formulas folder. You can change its location in the Folder
tab of the Options dialog.
Next: Standard formulas