Is it possible to get the same (or similar) quality as for example this picture from Wikipedia

in preview? Because in preview I can only see black parts clearly and anything other is very noisy at similar zoom as this picture no matter what max iterations I have. When I render the fractal I can see the more similar quality as in image above.
Is it possible to get better preview quality? Or maybe it's a special way to make high quality pictures like one above (it's also made with Uf).
Thanks

Is it possible to get the same (or similar) quality as for example this picture from Wikipedia https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Mandel_zoom_03_seehorse.jpg in preview? Because in preview I can only see black parts clearly and anything other is very noisy at similar zoom as this picture no matter what max iterations I have. When I render the fractal I can see the more similar quality as in image above. Is it possible to get better preview quality? Or maybe it's a special way to make high quality pictures like one above (it's also made with Uf). Thanks

No, there is no way to change the preview quality that I am aware of. For one thing I think this would add considerably to the time it takes to calculate and display any adjustments while working on a fractal. You may get slightly better results by changing the Drawing Method on the Formula tab to something other than Guessing, if that's what yours is set on, but it still won't give you the preview quality you seek, I'm afraid.

To see the final high quality fractal such as the one above you really need to render it. I'm pretty sure the image above will have been rendered properly, maybe at a larger size then re-sized down and sharpened a little, you would never see that sort of smoothness and quality of detail in preview mode. The smoothing happens when you apply anti-aliasing to the render (AA is generally a good thing unless it removes detail you actually want to keep). With experience you learn to have faith that your somewhat fuzzy preview will turn out as you expect though renders can still produce unexpected results now and again.

My workflow generally includes several small-ish renders as I go along (about 800-900px wide) to check how the final image is shaping up. These renders usually only take a a minute or so on a fast machine and give me a pretty good idea of the final product. I'll admit that this sort of speed isn't always so; a render of an exceptionally deep zoom or other types of resource hungry images can take rather longer but on the whole this approach works well for most of the images I make.

I hope this helps.

No, there is no way to change the preview quality that I am aware of. For one thing I think this would add considerably to the time it takes to calculate and display any adjustments while working on a fractal. You may get slightly better results by changing the _Drawing Method_ on the _Formula_ tab to something other than _Guessing_, if that's what yours is set on, but it still won't give you the preview quality you seek, I'm afraid. To see the final high quality fractal such as the one above you really need to render it. I'm pretty sure the image above will have been rendered properly, maybe at a larger size then re-sized down and sharpened a little, you would never see that sort of smoothness and quality of detail in preview mode. The smoothing happens when you apply anti-aliasing to the render (AA is generally a good thing unless it removes detail you actually want to keep). With experience you learn to have faith that your somewhat fuzzy preview will turn out as you expect though renders can still produce unexpected results now and again. My workflow generally includes several small-ish renders as I go along (about 800-900px wide) to check how the final image is shaping up. These renders usually only take a a minute or so on a fast machine and give me a pretty good idea of the final product. I'll admit that this sort of speed isn't always so; a render of an exceptionally deep zoom or other types of resource hungry images can take rather longer but on the whole this approach works well for most of the images I make. I hope this helps.

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

edited Dec 15 '16 at 10:53 am

Btw for anyone who gets very noisy and want more similar renders as in image in first post, check outside coloring algorithm, it should be set to smooth and transfer value should be "log", mine was "linear" and that caused so much noise.

Btw for anyone who gets very noisy and want more similar renders as in image in first post, check outside coloring algorithm, it should be set to smooth and transfer value should be "log", mine was "linear" and that caused so much noise.

Oddly enough, I've had the opposite problem. The render is, quite often, not as sharp and detailed as the preview. This is solved by turning off anti-aliasing then sharpening as necessary in Photoshop or other image editing software.

Oddly enough, I've had the opposite problem. The render is, quite often, not as sharp and detailed as the preview. This is solved by turning off anti-aliasing then sharpening as necessary in Photoshop or other image editing software.

Can you post an example of the preview that you're seeing in the fractal window?

Assuming that you're talking about the lack of anti-aliasing... the current version of UF won't do anti-aliasing in the fractal window, but this will be introduced in UF6. In addion, UF6 will have better quality anti-aliasing when rendering, which solves the problem that Otto Magus mentions. smile

Can you post an example of the preview that you're seeing in the fractal window? Assuming that you're talking about the lack of anti-aliasing... the current version of UF won't do anti-aliasing in the fractal window, but this will be introduced in UF6. In addion, UF6 will have better quality anti-aliasing when rendering, which solves the problem that Otto Magus mentions. :)

Ultra Fractal author

Everything is OK now. I was getting image like this in fractal window (i called it "noisy" )
5855737457870.png
But then I read manual, and tried to change transfer function to "log" and got image which I was looking for.
5855740b2a2b5.png
Anyway thanks for support, I was surprised how responsive this forum's community is.

Everything is OK now. I was getting image like this in fractal window (i called it "noisy" ) ![5855737457870.png](serve/attachment&path=5855737457870.png) But then I read manual, and tried to change transfer function to "log" and got image which I was looking for. ![5855740b2a2b5.png](serve/attachment&path=5855740b2a2b5.png) Anyway thanks for support, I was surprised how responsive this forum's community is.
edited Dec 17 '16 at 5:22 pm

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft